[Seaside] Smalltalk Intro Presentation

Victor vmgoldberg at verizon.net
Tue Nov 6 23:53:18 UTC 2007

 >> I've been asked to give a "Smalltalk" presentation to our local Linux
 >> Users Group.

This is great!

 >> I'm curious if anyone out there has ever done one of
 >> these? And if they have any ideas, hints, materials they're willing to
 >> share.

My approach is to not give something too theoretical or esoteric, but
rather think in terms of both fun and practical approach.

What I do in my presentations is to show a small part (very small and
simple) of a game design and show how SUnit works as part of a
Test Driven Development [TDD] approach in ST.

As I am explaining the process I also show how it can be done in ST. I
explain the Refactoring Browser, the workspace, and some of their power
as needed.  It may take some 2 hours to have a reasonable presentation.
  I explain how to define the variables I need, and how to write the
methods in their proper classes.  Maybe there will also time for some
refactoring.

Being well prepared is very important, not because you should go in a
mechanical fashion about it, but because then it will be easier for you
to improvise to catch the mood of the audience.  Yet, because this may
be your first presentation, going mechanically maybe what feels right
for you.  Take it as a learning experience for yourself.

My 2 c.

Where will your presentation be?

Wish you success,
Victor