[Seaside] Long submit problems with IE

Michel Bany m.bany at wanadoo.fr
Sun Nov 11 10:52:22 UTC 2007

Carl Gundel a écrit :
> This is a problem that has been posted about a few times, but until
> yesterday I wasn't able to put my finger on the cause.  I'm not
> absolutely sure why this is, but it seems that IE has some pretty
> draconian hard coded limits in place about how long a form submit can
> be.  When writing programs in Run BASIC on IE once a program gets to
> be a few thousand bytes long the submit fails when trying to do
> anything on the page (running, saving, etc.). The result is the
> dreaded "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" error message.
> Has anyone else here had to deal with this?  Is there a way to work
> around the problem?
>
> I'm using VW7.4.1 and Seaside 2.6 and Web Toolkit.  Do newer versions
> of Seaside handle this differently?

Hi Carl,

I think your problem could very well be caused by the bug in IE where IE
requires a blank after the colon in some HTTP headers, although this
blank is speficied as optional by RFC2822. This bug is taken into
consideration by VW 7.5 but not by 7.4.1.

If this is your problem, then you will be able to fix it by patching
VisualWave.Response>>writeCookies: and
VisualWave.MessageHeaders>>sendOver: making sure a blank is inserted
after the colon in 'Set-Cookie: ' and in ': '. You may also want to get
a more recent version of Seaside 2.6 from the public Store. Seaside 2.6
includes these fixes since 2.6b1.118.1.

HTH,
Michel.