[Seaside] Use of examples from Hasso-Plattner-Institut's tutorial

Lukas Renggli renggli at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 13:08:45 UTC 2007

> Of course you can use idioms from the ToDo application to demonstrate
> how certain things work. We'd be happy if you could give appropriate
> credit and point to the tutorial for reference. As long as you don't
> reuse entire parts of the application, there is no problem. If you do,
> you will require express permission from us to do so.

The problem is that the idea of building a ToDo application is not new.

In 2006 Avi and Andrew presented such an application as part of their
"Advanced Seaside" tutorial at Smalltalk Solutions in Toronto [1]. I
used a similar example as part of my "The Art of Seaside" and "Web
2.0" presentations at ESUG 2006 in Prague [2]. Also the article
published this year in IEEE Software uses this example [3].
Furthermore, I know of a few other projects where the domain of a ToDo
application was or is used.

I think it is a perfect example, and I don't have anything against
reusing it. However you have to pay attention what license you pick,
otherwise you could shoot yourself in the foot as well.

Cheers,
Lukas

[1] http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/files/jarober/nfrStS2006Report.pdf
[2] http://www.lukas-renggli.ch/smalltalk/seaside/