[Seaside] Some benchmarks comparing Seaside on different dialects

Esteban A. Maringolo emaringolo at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 14:03:15 UTC 2007

Ron,

On Nov 15, 2007 10:27 AM, Ron Teitelbaum <Ron at usmedrec.com> wrote:
> Your benchmarks are very dependent on what hardware configuration you are
> using.

The test were ran in the same computer, on the same OS. Using loopback
interface (i.e. localhost).
I don't know if squeak or VW runs better in Linux and/or Sparc, I
wanted to measure the three in the same "environment".

> You may have mentioned that in your links which I didn't follow, but
> I'd suggest that you put that information upfront.  I'd also suggest that
> you flush out the details of VW like you did with Dolphin and Squeak.

I published the results for VW, Squeak and Dolphin, no hidden details.
I have no bias here, in fact I wanted to know how well (or bad)
performed each.

And believe me, everything was as expected. VW was fast but died fast,
Squeak slower but solid, and Dolphin in a point between both. However
this doesn't mean I prefer one platform over the other just by
considering the test, which is a brute force test, that showed me (and
I wanted to share with the community), how does a VM perform when
requested brutally.

> You should also consider specifying that the limitations of a single VM do
> not take into account load sharing techniques that have been developed by
> the Seaside community which allow Seaside to massively scale up from your
> limited configuration.

Don't be so harsh, I'm from the "seaside side" of the community.
I know the limited configuration, but it was also the intention,
testing it "out of the box". I was trying to measure how much a single
VM can scale under _heavy_ load. To load balance one should know much
load can handle a single VM.

However I don't know what is the concept of "massively scale up" in
Seaside, because we don't have available numbers public.
The two massive sites that come to my mind are Dabble and the Seaside
website itself.

I'm not a raw performance zealot, but I want to know what's under the
hood of the car I'm driving. After that, I know what tune, what not,
and what to avoid.

Best regards,

--
Esteban A. Maringolo