[Seaside] Re: Re: WATask & Ajax quest

Lukas Renggli renggli at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 17:06:02 UTC 2007

> Is there a way for a newbie to understand a bit more specifically what kinds
> of things to do vs. to not bother trying?

- Don't try #call: and #answer: during AJAX actions, always do a full
refresh if you need this functionality.

- Don't try to replace children during AJAX actions without specific
precautions. E.g. you have to make sure that all the children you are
possibly going to show are returned by #children. See SUTabPanel and
SUAccordion for examples.

> e.g. can I have an in-place editor
> somewhere on a page, and also another link that replaces some (other)
> subcomponent with a #call? You may have answered this already, but like I
> said ... newbie :-)

Yes, that makes sense.

As a rule of thumb I would say: Only use AJAX if it affects small and
nicely defined parts of the page (aka widgets like SUAccordion,
SUTabPanel, SUTiredList, and the other examples coming with
Scriptaculous). Don't try to use AJAX if it affects big parts of the
page, including many different components or parts of different
components. Don't use it together with #call: and #answer: either.

HTH?

Cheers,
Lukas

--