[Seaside] SushiStore removed from Seaside

Ramon Leon ramon.leon at allresnet.com
Thu Nov 22 05:42:45 UTC 2007

> I can think of a number of successful frameworks that have
> taken an opposite approach.
>
> "Easy install with everything and the kitchen sink included.
> Everything that you could possibly want to solve your problem."
>
> Admittedly these tools do not have a core as refined and as
> high quality as has been produced by the focussed approach
> but I think it is a sensible option.
>
> Lack of a viable example application is what kept me from
> using seaside for 3 years in the early days. I could see how
> to make components like the counter, I could not see how to
> put it all together.
>
> Now I make components like a counter and put it all together
> with pier so I no longer have that problem.
>
> best regards
>
> Keith

There are several sample applications on SqueakSource for anyone wanting
examples.  Aside from that, the Sushi store example was often broken and not
well maintained when it was in the core.  Better no example than a broken
example, and better not to burden the core developers with things they don't
want to maintain.

If you look at Rails right now, you'll see they've been trying to push
things out of the core and into plugins when they realize they'd included
something that didn't really belong in the core.  If everyone doesn't care
about it, it doesn't belong in the core.  Only beginners care about Sushi
store.  This is just my opinion of course, so take it with a grain of salt.

Ramon Leon
http://onsmalltalk.com