[Seaside] SushiStore removed from Seaside

Robert Hawley rhawley at plymouth.ac.uk
Thu Nov 22 13:24:41 UTC 2007

Hi Sebastian

I do want tools for teaching - ideally communal, standardised, well chosen
and easily available on the internet.

I have the problem of having to cope with deprecated techniques - seeing how
existing examples need to be modified would make shifting over easier for
people like me. Having put a lot of effort into learning Seaside I now find
myself having to re-learn it for a third time - and to be blunt I am a bit
fed up.  I don't have anyone around me to teach me and I find it very hard
to filter through the mass of 'stuff' about it on the internet.  I have
produced images, hand-outs, examples etc.., and now I have to do it yet
again.

If well chosen examples are available on the internet I (and many others
introducing Seaside) won't have to make images and load stuff time and again
when we want to show the product to people.

The 'zero config' image you talk of needs to be shared by the whole
community. It gives us something we can use for teaching and talk about at
conferences - and that people can later easily load up for themselves.

I stand by my assertion that a well chosen inbuilt example (along the lines
of Sushi) is well worth having. Probably I am not the person to write it - I
am not yet in tune with the new ways. (However, I have spent some time on it
and am part of the way in.)

If the gurus want a purist core, then perhaps we could have a demo core also
available in parallel?  It would be interesting to see which would get
downloaded more often.

Yours

Bob

--------------------

Hi Bob,

    ideas like features and framework practices can be learned from code
examples. If you recall, it was told here that the Sushi example uses some
deprecated techniques so it simply has no sense to have in the core package
potentially replicating deprecated practices. That way is simply too easy to
inadvertedly be teaching what is wrong. I'm sure you may know how expensive
is to un-teach what is teached wrong. So applying for this case the criteria
of "when in doubt refrain yourself" seems intelligent decision to me.

    I imagine you want tools for teaching and is nothing wrong with
that. In fact is great you are using this for teaching so note that you can
use it anyway if you still find it useful and you filter the wrong part for
your students  but have in mind that may be that is not the same intention
the Seaside team is having (due to be unable to filter the same you will for
every independent newcomer non one of your students among other things).

    If what you want is a zero config situation for your students, why
don't you just load it in a fresh image to distribute among your students?
You can put other convenient examples for the way you plan to teach too and
also your own ones.

    cheers,

Sebastian Sastre