[Seaside] SushiStore removed from Seaside

Ramon Leon ramon.leon at allresnet.com
Thu Nov 22 20:37:28 UTC 2007

You never once searched for seaside on squeaksource?  I just don't see
finding sample code as a real problem, it's there, easy to find and easy to
load.  If loading a package from squeaksource is too hard for a new users,
then they're not ready for app development in Seaside, because loading
packages is kind of necessary for that.  They have to learn Squeak before
they can be productive in Seaside, that's life.

> Ok so if you move stuff into plug-ins this means that
> experienced users can remove, or not invoke plugins that they
> do not want.

Which are by the way... The people actually using Seaside, so it makes sense
they'd decide that stuff doesn't belong in the core.

> Lets try another analogy, if your first download experience
> of Squeak had been pavel's gui-less kernel image, instead of
> a full-squeak with etoys, sound, 3D wonderland and 2 faces
> singing harmonies would you have given squeak a second glance?
>
> Keith

That's where there are kernels and distributions.  You can cram all that
into any distribution you like.  Damien has one that has Seaside, Pier, and
some other stuff, and there's the one click image from seaside.st, and
several others.  None of that justifies bloating the core kernel with
example code, that's what distributions are for.  You're blaming the kernel
for not being a suitable distribution, but it's not meant to be.  And
there's still plenty in there that can and probably should be stripped out
to make it even slimmer.

Ramon Leon
http://onsmalltalk.com