[Seaside] SushiStore removed from Seaside

Michael Davies mykdavies+squeak at gmail.com
Thu Nov 22 21:35:18 UTC 2007

On Nov 22, 2007 6:49 PM, Sebastian Sastre <ssastre at seaswork.com> wrote:
> I understand you're enthusiastic but with some disappointments about tools
> for your goals. But that's life. Smalltalk has a relatively small community
> and members use to surpass this some way or another by having, lot of times,
> to invest effort on applying the criteria of: "if you think of it you can
> materialize it".
>
> Best regards,
>
> Sebastian

Hi Sebastian, All,

I think part of the problem is that the sushi store is widely
referenced on the web and mailing list archives, and so is seen by
newbies as a valuable learning tool. When they begin to realise that
there are problems with it, and raise this here, the replies they get
don't seem to acknowledge the importance of their confusion, and this
leads to frustration on both sides.

To try to head some of this misunderstanding off, I've updated some of
the references to the Sushi Store. I've updated the Seaside page at
http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/2272 to warn people away from the Sushi
Store. I've also added some text to the wiki page linked from
http://www.squeaksource.com/SeasideExamples.html (should that page
really be world-editable?). Perhaps someone with a better
understanding of the issues with this application could add more
details of the nature of the problems with the application (this may
even inspire someone to update it!).

There are two other pages that it would be worth someone with access updating:
- the Tutorials page at http://www.seaside.st/documentation/tutorial
should explicitly warn people away from this deprecated code.
- the release notes at
http://www.seaside.st/community/development/seaside28 also seem to
encourage people to use the Sushi Store, perhaps that should read "The
*deprecated* Sushi Store is now its own package at Seaside Examples"

Cheers,
Michael