[Seaside] seaside performance in Squeak

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Fri Nov 23 19:38:16 UTC 2007

On Fri, Nov 23, 2007 at 09:57:53AM -0800, tim Rowledge wrote:

> On 23-Nov-07, at 9:00 AM, Adrian Lienhard wrote:
>
> >May I ask why VMMaker is not stored in one dedicated SqueakSource
> >repository?
>
> Because I tried it once and had problems and never got around to
> making another attempt.
>
> >It should be a matter of minutes to create a project and commit the
> >current version to it and then people can commit and merge their
> >fixes etc.
> You're kidding, yes? The chances of me letting other people commit
> changes to such an important chunk of code are exactly (no floating
> point comparison to confuse things) zero.

Hi Tim,

Actually, a read-only copy of the numbered MCZs on SqueakSource
would be very helpful to me for understanding version changes
relative to the Subversion sources.

Assuming that you have on the order of say 100 numbered versions
sitting on a hard drive someplace, I would expect it take be about
60 to 90 minutes of annoyance and tedium to get the whole mess
copied over to SqueakSource. From that point forward it's no real
work to keep the SqueakSource copies up to date with your hard drive.

I started doing this with OSProcess, CommandShell and related plugins
a while back, and once I got past the initial annoyances I've been
happy with the process. So if you can find it in your heart to endure
an hour and a half of tedium and annoyance, I'll be most grateful.

Dave