[Seaside] seaside performance in Squeak

Colin Putney cputney at wiresong.ca
Sat Nov 24 04:31:38 UTC 2007

On 23-Nov-07, at 12:32 PM, Adrian Lienhard wrote:

>> Because I tried it once and had problems and never got around to
>> making another attempt.
>>
>>> It should be a matter of minutes to create a project and commit
>>> the current version to it and then people can commit and merge
>>> their fixes etc.
>> You're kidding, yes?
>
> No, I'm serious. Of course, you are not going to blindly merge
> everything people commit.  You can skip whatever changes you don't
> like in your main line. This is how Seaside is done, and I think it
> works well. The nice thing is that you don't need to mail mcz or cs
> files around and hence it is more likely that people share changes
> that are worth being looked at.
> If you don't like this, you can also make the project read only or
> only writable by the guys you trust. This would allow outsiders to
> see what is going on.

Agreed. It works quite well for OmniBrowser too.  I'm picky about what
changes I merge into the mainline, but I let anyone save versions to
my repository. If people commit code that's problematic, that's fine,
it just doesn't get merged into the trunk. Even so, contributions
usually get incorporated in one form or another, because the
visibility makes design decisions easier to discuss.

Colin