[Seaside] Seaside Listening on localhost only ?

Sven Van Caekenberghe sven at beta9.be
Mon Nov 26 14:59:28 UTC 2007

Hi All,

I just recently started working with Seaside again after a long
hiatus, so I am probably missing something obvious or simple. While
trying to deploy a test web application on a server (Squeak-3.9-8.i686-
pc-linux-gnu VM on RHEL 4), I discovered that both there and on my
development machine (Squeak 3.8.18beta1U VM on Mac OS X 10.5) using a
Squeak 3.9 image with Seaside 2.8 started with WAKom startOn: 8080
only bind their server socket on localhost (127.0.0.1) and do hence
not accept network connections.

Is this by design (and do I need to put Apache proxying in front of
it) or is there a way to fix this ?

If I am tracing the call graph correctly, I arrive at
TcpListener>>pvtNewListener: where clearly
Socket>>listenerOn:backlogSize:interface: is called with the interface
argument hard-coded to #(127 0 0 1). It seams that Squeak has
NetNameResolver localHostAddress which would give back the 'correct'
interface name to bind the server socket to ?

All hints appreciated!

Thx,

Sven