[Seaside] Truly Opaque URLs

Ramon Leon ramon.leon at allresnet.com
Fri Nov 30 17:55:22 UTC 2007

> Oh, I just don't buy that without a much better backing.
>
> What about Amazon's URLs?
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-M59-00033-Mass-Effect/dp/B000O
> LXX86/ref=
> pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1196443532&sr=8-1
>
> Or eBay's?
>
> http://search.product.ebay.com/Mass-Effect_UPC_605433010413_W0
> QQfifptsZ1
> QQfvcsZ1453QQsoprZ53000938
>
> Do you consider them beautiful? Or any other more or less
> complicated solution out there? Simply put, the end user
> could care less about the URL if the app does what users want.
>
> Before someone brings up bookmarkability, I'll step in and
> warn that it has nothing with how URL looks :)
>
> Now let me go back and don my fireproof suit.
>
> -Boris

I agree, the only people who complain about URLs are developers, no one else
gives a crap.  There's nothing wrong with Seaside's URLs, the whole point of
the framework is make you stop thinking about building URLs.  How exactly is
a meaningless key any less annoying when placed in the path instead of as a
parameter?  Don't worry about people fiddling with the _s and _k params, let
them, all they'll end up with is a lost session.

Ramon Leon
http://onsmalltalk.com