[Seaside] SULibrary and File Serving

Richard K Eng richard.eng at rogers.com
Sat Oct 6 18:01:54 UTC 2007

Okay, so I have this terrific Seaside application and I want to deploy it on
a Linux server (Ubuntu "Feisty Fawn"). (Currently, it's being developed on a
Vista machine.) When the app is run locally on my Vista box, it runs
perfectly. In particular, the "lightbox" effect for #inform: and #confirm:
works just fine.

HOWEVER, over the Internet, I lose the "lightbox" effect on the Linux server
running the exact same app. I believe there is some issue with Apache file
serving, Seaside file serving, and SULibrary. I've spent two days trying to
figure this out and I'm getting absolutely nowhere. I desperately need help.

Here's my httpd.conf file:

LoadModule  proxy_module  /usr/lib/apache2/modules/mod_proxy.so
LoadModule  proxy_http_module  /usr/lib/apache2/modules/mod_proxy_http.so
LoadModule  rewrite_module  /usr/lib/apache2/modules/mod_rewrite.so

NameVirtualHost 192.168.1.101:80

<VirtualHost 192.168.1.101:80>
RewriteEngine     on
ProxyRequests     off
DocumentRoot      /var/www
ProxyPass         /goodsexnetwork
http://localhost:9090/seaside/goodsexnetwork
ProxyPassReverse  /goodsexnetwork
http://localhost:9090/seaside/goodsexnetwork
ProxyPass         /goodsexspace
http://localhost:9090/seaside/goodsexspace
ProxyPassReverse  /goodsexspace
http://localhost:9090/seaside/goodsexspace
RewriteRule       ^/$
http://localhost:9090/seaside/goodsexnetwork/$1 [P,L]
</VirtualHost>

The httpd.conf file is used with a plain vanilla Apache2 installation with
no other modifications. All the CSS files and static images that adorn my
application reside in /var/www. Like I said, so far so good, everything runs
fine except for the lightbox effect.

The Seaside image has been configured for file serving thusly:

| ma seaside |
HttpService allInstancesDo:    [:each | each stop. each unregister].
WAKom  stop.
seaside := WAKom  default.
ma := ModuleAssembly core.
ma serverRoot: FileDirectory default fullName.
ma alias: '/seaside' to:    [ma addPlug: [:request | seaside process:
request]].
ma documentRoot: FileDirectory default fullName.
ma directoryIndex: 'index.html index.htm'.
ma serveFiles.
(HttpService startOn: 9090 named: 'httpd') plug: ma rootModule

(FYI, FileDirectory default fullName --> /home/richard/seaside/ where the
Seaside image is.)

So the question is, in this environment, how do I get SULibrary to be served
up to the Seaside app in order to restore the lightbox effect (if indeed
this is the exact nature of the problem)? Remember, it's only an issue when
the app is running with Apache over the Internet.

(BTW, I don't quite understand where SULibrary resides, but I think it's
somehow "embedded" inside Seaside.)

Thanks,
Richard