[Seaside] Seaside Hosting question

Jimmie Houchin j.squeak at cyberhaus.us
Thu Oct 11 20:02:37 UTC 2007

Lukas Renggli wrote:
>>>  1) What do I need to do to get Seaside
>>>     to listen for requests on a port?
>
> I start my images like this:
>
>     squeak \
>         -mmap 256m \
>         -vm-sound-null \
>         -vm-display-null \
>         "$IMAGE" \
>         -- PORT "$PORT"

How does the -- PORT
   (is there supposed to be a space between -- PORT ?)
affect the image if in a Workspace you have already done
WAKom startOn: 8888?

Do you still supply the port as above?
-- PORT 8888

Webfaction has several plans at various mb of RAM allowed.
Does passing -mmap 40mb constrain the image to 40mb?
Would it crash if it attempted to go higher?

>>>  2) What's the deal with X windows,
>>>     are they required to deploy a Seaside
>>>     application or run Seaside in a
>>>     production environment.
>
> I am using VNC (the Squeak implementation) to connect to the image.

I'm pretty sure they don't have or allow VNC. Everything would have to
be done via web browser or command line (ssh).

Are there any problems running a development style image, squeak-dev
with Seaside and running it headless? Other than extra memory and space
requirements.

Eventually I would love to have a kernel image with current Seaside/Pier
loaded, and do OmniBrowser and Monticello via web browser.

Thanks. And thanks to Isaiah also for his reply.

Jimmie