[Seaside] Seaside Hosting question

Jimmie Houchin j.squeak at cyberhaus.us
Thu Oct 11 23:24:53 UTC 2007

Avi Bryant wrote:
> On 10/11/07, Chris Cunnington <cunnington at sympatico.ca> wrote:
>>> I am using VNC (the Squeak implementation) to connect to the image.
>>> I'm pretty sure they don't have or allow VNC. Everything would have to
>>> be done via web browser or command line (ssh).
>> I think the VNC Lukas is talking about is something Webfaction will have no
>> problem with. It's not VNC as you first think of it. It's just a function of
>> Seaside that allows a System Browser to open in a Web Browser. This means
>> that once your image is uploaded you can access the image in the same way as
>> on your desktop -- except in a browser.
>
> Mm, no - he's talking about the RFBServer implementation from Ian.  We
> use that extensively too.  It is indeed VNC (the Chicken of the VNC
> client works well), but it requires no special server support (beyond
> any firewalls letting port 5900 through).

X11 is not required?

Is the port configurable?

What kind of impact does it have on server resources? CPU usage?
I'm not sure that a hosting provider will allow such if the resource use
is above the plans limits.

I presume one can write a method which can be called via a web browser
to start or stop service from the RFBServer.

Can one operate something like this:

Have the RFBServer running but no client connected.
Such would hopefully have little resource usage. Just a guess?
Then if you encounter a debug situation, you can possibly have a client
connect, debug, disconnect. ?

Thanks for any additional information.

Jimmie