[Seaside] Seaside hosting - 2

Jimmie Houchin j.squeak at cyberhaus.us
Fri Oct 12 14:48:55 UTC 2007

Hello,

In my continued dialog with WebFaction...
> > So it seems what we need is a way for your script (WebFaction)
> > to start Squeak up on the port of your (WebFaction) choice.
> >
> > From the Seaside mailing list Lukas Renggli uses this startup script
> > for his images.

> Ah, that's perfect.
> Would one have to modify their Seaside image
> to accommodate the -- PORT "ZZZZ" bit?
Ok. If we have been developing an image using port 8080 and we've saved
a running image, ready to go. How can a provider like WebFaction, using
a shell/python script change the port from 8080 to ZZZZ?

Or what is/should be the best practice of the developer deploying an
image to a provider who uses an automated script to start up said image?

Also, I am fuzzy on the memory part.

If as above we use the -mmap 256m   does that mean that Squeak will use
256mb of resident memory?
Or that Squeak can use up to 256mb of memory? With WebFaction plan
allotments in the shared hosting are at 40,80,120mb of ram.

What is important in those plans is actual memory use.

He would also like a ready to use Seaside image to try out.

What is the best deployment image out there that is hopefully friendly
on resources but also is up to date on Seaside, Pier, Monticello?

Thanks for all help.

Jimmie