[Seaside] MinimalMorphic based web images

Adrian Lienhard adi at netstyle.ch
Fri Oct 19 14:59:47 UTC 2007

On Oct 17, 2007, at 07:02 , Philippe Marschall wrote:

> 2007/10/15, Jimmie Houchin <j.squeak at cyberhaus.us>:
>> Philippe Marschall wrote:
>>> 2007/10/15, Jimmie Houchin <j.squeak at cyberhaus.us>:
>> [snip
>>>
>>> IIRC what Seaside Hosting does is suspend them at the operating
>>> system
>>> process level using daemontools [1] to make sure they're idle and
>>> the
>>> operating system can swap them out.
>>>
>>> [1] http://cr.yp.to/daemontools.html
>>

>> Hello Philippe,
>>
>> Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I wasn't very clear, my
>> apologies.
>>
>> The image seems to be doing some kind of polling which is using
>> CPU even
>> when the image should seem to be using none as it is doing nothing.
>
> Could be anything. At lest the gc will have to do same work from time
> to time. But it is also very likely the UI is not completely idle as
> well. That's my Seaside Hosting suspends the whole process to make
> everything is really idle and nothing happens.

Very likely it's the UI loop (GC activity depends on number of
instantiated objects, not on time elapsed). You can suspend/resume
the UI process, for example with the Seaside snapshot application, if
you want to spare some cycles (which can be significant as soon as
you have many images).

Oh, and make sure that the preference named betterPerformance is
turned _off_.

Cheers,
Adrian