[Seaside] #with: and #children: is one redundant?

Lukas Renggli renggli at gmail.com
Fri Oct 19 17:14:31 UTC 2007

> If I call #with: on a canvas/brush and pass a sub-component, why do I also
> have to register that sub-component in #children:

Theoretically yes. Practically no.

We could do a null-render pass before the actual rendering pass to
collect these children. However that could potentially be very
expensive and cause troubles because people do not behave and change
state or do other bad things that they shouldn't during the rendering
;-)

The children need to be known in advance to be able to evaluate
callbacks such as #initialRequest:, #updateRoot:, #updateUrl:,
#states, ...

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli