[Seaside] Re: #with: and #children: is one redundant?

Lukas Renggli renggli at gmail.com
Fri Oct 19 17:25:28 UTC 2007

> > We could do a null-render pass before the actual rendering pass to
> > collect these children.
>
> Instead of a separate fake-rendering pass (with its inefficiency + risks as
> you pointed out), why not just have #with: directly register the #children
> for the common cases when it is directly passed a component? Of course I
> could be totally misunderstanding how it works ...

The children need to be known **before** the actual rendering pass.

For example, if you want your visible components to be able to add
elements to the <head>, then you need to call their #updateRoot:
method before you let them generate the <body>. At the time the <body>
is rendered the <head> might already have left the server and is on
the way to the client (when using a streaming server at least).

Cheers,
Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli