[Seaside] Unicode Mac Support

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Mon Oct 22 02:07:46 UTC 2007

On Oct 21, 2007, at 16:06 , John M McIntosh wrote:

> The mac carbon vm supports unicode input for keyboard entry. The
> issue then is what does smalltalk code do with it.
>
> I'll note in Sophie we support unicode input via the Mac carbon VM.
> We are working somewhat on the Windows VM, but we not sure that it
> fully supports unicode input.
> For the unix VM someone is also working on unicode input, but we've
> not heard much about that for a few weeks now.

Yoshiki did this last week, it is in the Unix subversion trunk.

IIRC the problem on the Mac is not in the VM, but that the truetype
fonts in the image do only cover the latin1 range whereas cyrillic
and other characters are discarded on input. There is a hack to fix
this:

http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2006-June/
105184.html

Not sure if later images have a similar fix. The Freetype support
would solve the problem too.

- Bert -