[Seaside] Squeak / Gemstone / VisualWorks with Seaside

Dale Henrichs dale.henrichs at gemstone.com
Mon Oct 22 22:25:38 UTC 2007

For GemStone/S we are focussed on making life easy for folks developing
their application in Squeak and deploying in GemStone/S. We support
Monticello and our development tools are based on the OmniBrowser tool
set, in fact it is possible to edit code in the GemStone repository
using a Squeak image and the tools we provide ...

Going from VW to GemStone is not something that we have focussed on ...
VW does not support Monticello and we (and Squeak) do not support Store
- passing .st files  (or the equivalent) around is not  really
acceptable for ongoing development...managing your code on the target
platform and getting your changes back into VW becomes problematic if
you use fileins... I esperienced that when I began porting Seaside from
Squeak to GemStone and that experience lead to porting Monticello to
GemStone.... We have a GBS product that makes it somewhat easier to move
code between VW and GemStone but GBS support is not included in the Free
version...

I'm not aware of a slam-dunk solution for developing in VW and deploying
to Squeak or GemStone. Porting Monticello to VW would be a start, but I
assume that there are some issues with name spaces that would have to be
dealt with.

Dale