[Seaside] YUI

Randal L. Schwartz merlyn at stonehenge.com
Mon Oct 29 19:55:09 UTC 2007

>>>>> "Boris" == Boris Popov <boris at deepcovelabs.com> writes:

Boris> One thing I would like to mention, however, is that you shouldn't be
Boris> discounting the level and quality of Scriptaculous integration work
Boris> that Lukas had already done. The same level of expressiveness would
Boris> take a lot of essentially duplicated effort, so perhaps you could
Boris> consider working on adding support for parts that Scriptaculous does
Boris> not provide on its own?

<http://www.urlfan.com/local/prototype_js_is_the_web_developers_internet_explorer/11222145.html>:

  "the problem is that it aggressively extends the base javascript Object and
  the Array object adding around 10 or so functions that allow it to behave as
  an iterator and allow subclassing. those additions are nice to have, but it
  means it does not play well with any other javascript libraries unless they
  explicitly work within the new walls it puts up."

  "here’s to hope that people will see the light and stop using prototype.js
  unless they want to live in their walled garden."

So, I forbid the use of prototype.js in any project I'm workng on as long as
it has this broken behavior.  Hence, I cannot just *add* to Lukas work.  I
just wish he hadn't picked the wrong library. :-(

Maybe I can keep the same interface, but rip the guts out to replace the
scriptalicious behavior with equivalents from YUI.  If anyone wants to work on
that with me, starting from a proper base of YUI (including CSS Reset, etc),
I'll be happy to coordinate.