[Seaside] YUI

Lukas Renggli renggli at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 16:24:50 UTC 2007

> Lukas> 1. Please check out the Scriptaculous history in Monticello before
> Lukas> making false assertions in public.
>
> I realize that prototype 1.5 fixes some of the problems.  It doesn't fix all
> of them.  I don't think that's a false assertion.

This is not what I ment, but anyway.

> Lukas> 2. At the time when script.aculo.us was picket (June 2005), there was
> Lukas> no other decent JavaScript library around.
>
> I don't mean to sound like you made the wrong decision at the time.  I just
> mean that in light of today's YUI availability, you bet on the wrong pony.  I
> hope to correct that by helping to create a complete YUI interface instead.

You are comparing apples and oranges. YUI is mostly a widget library,
while Prototype is a framework to assist AJAX application development.

As of today I would indeed choose a different library. However I am
certain that Prototype is a far better choice than YUI for what it
does. I don't need ready made JavaScript widgets, I want lightweight
tools to have more control over the client side.  YUI is bloated and
overly complex. It hardly matches the model of stateful components in
Seaside.

Cheers,
Lukas

--