[Seaside] renderContentOn: Generating Confusing Error

Conrad Taylor conradwt at gmail.com
Thu Sep 6 23:26:18 UTC 2007

Hi, I have the following #renderContentOn: method from an online tutorial:

renderContentOn: html
	html heading: 'Contacts' level: 1.
	self addressBook contacts do:
			[ :contact |
				(html div) class: ('row');
				with: [ (html anchor)
							callback: [ self showContact: contact ]; with: (contact
firstName , ' ', contact surname ) ]].

	html form:
			[(html span)
				class: 'button';
				with: [html submitButton on: #addContact of: self]]

I'm getting the following exception stack when it is executed:

Stack Trace

thisContext
True(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand:
self
true
aMessage
a Message with selector: #firstName and arguments: #()
excpt
a MessageNotUnderstood
resumeValue
nil

thisContext
optimized [] in [] in MyAddressBookView>>renderContentOn:
self
BlockClosure [] in [] in MyAddressBookView>>renderContentOn:
html
a Seaside.WARenderCanvas
self
a MyAddressBookView
contact
true

thisContext
BlockClosure>>renderOn:
self
BlockClosure [] in [] in MyAddressBookView>>renderContentOn:
aRenderer
a Seaside.WARenderCanvas

thisContext
optimized [] in Seaside.WATagBrush>>with:
self
BlockClosure [] in Seaside.WATagBrush>>with:
self
a Seaside.WADivTag
anObject
BlockClosure [] in [] in MyAddressBookView>>renderContentOn:

thisContext
BlockClosure>>renderOn:
self
BlockClosure [] in Seaside.WATagBrush>>with:
aRenderer
a Seaside.WARenderCanvas

>From the stack trace, it doesn't understand the following:

contact firstName

If anyone has any ideas as to what may be the issue here, please feel
free to post.  I'm using Seaside 2.8 Beta, VW 7.5, and Mac OS 10.4.10.

Thanks in advance,

-Conrad