[Seaside] Using traits in Squeak / Seaside - Advice sought

Philippe Marschall philippe.marschall at gmail.com
Fri Sep 14 04:38:07 UTC 2007

2007/9/14, itsme213 <itsme213 at hotmail.com>:
> I will be doing some development in Squeak 3.9 / Seaside (I have played with
> Squeak before, this time it will be RealWork). I like the idea of using
> traits, but have no actual hand-on usage experience.
>
> Should I use traits in my work?

What is your work?

> Know of any real deployed projects that have used traits to good effect?

Only on a very small base, 2 or 3 traits.

> Do the tools manage the cost of all the finer-grained bits, debugging, etc?

Debugging is not a problem. The problem is that the code browser and
Monticello are only 80% there, RB is not trait aware, ....

> Are there any best practices I could look at?
> Will using traits affect (a) possible port to VW? (b) possible use of
> Gemstone/S?

You mean because they don't support traits? Yes of course. But you can
always flatten the traits. Then you'll "only" have to deal with the
real portability problems which are big enough.

Cheers
Philippe