[Seaside] Re: [ANN] Port of Pier to VW

Lukas Renggli renggli at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 16:40:13 UTC 2007

Hi Niall,

this is great news, thanks a lot for this effort. I will update the
web-site of Pier.

FYI: I also forwarded your mail to seaside at lists.squeakfoundation.org
Magritte/Pier mailing list).

> Set and Dictionary equality
> ==================

This is a portability problem I should know from Seaside and
Scriptaculous. I must admit that I didn't pay attention to that in
Magritte/Pier.

> emergency' on various operations:  I deduce that some VW Dictionaries
> and Sets have contents whose equality tests create circularities with
> this.  I've therefore added Set>>=@ and Dictionary>>=@ to provide the
> Squeak implementations, as the easiest way to edit the failing
> assertions.  I chose =@ thinking the @ would suggest 'is equal at (its
> various contents)'.  I made it binary only because that makes it a
> little less work to rewrite the tests than with a keyword method.

Please give me a list of methods that rely on Set/Dictionary equality,
so that I can fix the code in Magritte/Pier. I guess it would be
easier to make the code more portable than having the porters to patch
these methods?

> Trivial common coding style remarks
> ========================
> Most points are already known from Seaside and other ports.  One that
> did not arise in Seaside or Magritte AFAIK is that sort/sort: returns
> the sorter, not the sorted collection, in VW so needs code like
>     ... := ... sort ...
> changed to
>     ... := ... sort ... ; yourself
> Writing sort-in-place code this way in Squeak would make for commonality
> when porting is expected.

Indeed, a well known problem, that should be easily fixable in Squeak
as well. I assume that I can find all the occurrences of this problem
by looking at the senders of #sort: ?

> Since VW's class-side #raiseSignal is already common to both it and
> Squeak (or already ported to Squeak), I've used it to replace the
> #signal method (that it calls in Squeak) in Pier code, rather than add
> #signal to VW.

Mhh, another thing I should know. I will fix it as well.

Cheers,
Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli