[Seaside] Navigation in Seaside

Vyacheslav Akhmechet coffeemug at gmail.com
Fri Apr 4 19:55:21 UTC 2008

Hello,

I'm the creator of Weblocks[1]. Many of the ideas behind Weblocks were
borrowed (or stolen, depending on your point of view) from Seaside.
I'm a little uneasy about the way Weblocks does navigation, so I
wanted to see if I can borrow some more ideas from the Seaside
framework.

At the moment Weblocks has a navigation widget (component), which is a
class that contains a dictionary of pane names and other widgets, as
well as the currently selected pane. When the navigation is rendered,
the currently selected pane is rendered along with navigation links.
Cliking on a particular link resets the current pane. This system is
tied to a friendly URL system, so that a URL path is broken into
tokens and the framework automatically selects appropriate panes.

This system works, but it's somewhat quirky. I can't quite put my
finger on where I went wrong with the design, but there is some
inelegance which I can't resolve.

Could someone point me to information about how Seaside handles this?
I couldn't easily find any online. Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Slava Akhmechet

[1] http://common-lisp.net/project/cl-weblocks/