[Seaside] exceptions while debugging - frozen UI

Colin Putney cputney at wiresong.ca
Thu Apr 10 15:17:11 UTC 2008

On 10-Apr-08, at 7:06 AM, Holger Kleinsorgen wrote:

> - UI is frozen, image is still alive

Hi Holger,

I've run into this myself. I haven't been able to pin down the exact
cause, but I believe it's something like this: by opening a debugger,
you are effectively transferring execution of the callback from a
Seaside process to the UI process. When you step over the method that
produces an HTTP response, Seaside uses an escape continuation to
replace the stack of the UI process with the stack of the process that
was serving the HTTP request. Once the response has been sent to the
browser, that process exits, leaving you without a UI process.

It's probably not exactly like that, and probably the exact steps are
different in the different versions of Seaside, but the effect is
always that the UI process is destroyed when the HTTP response is sent
out. Fortunately, there's an easy work around. Just press cmd-. to
create a new UI process and you're fine.

Colin