[Seaside] HTML method naming conventions

Avi Bryant avi at dabbledb.com
Fri Apr 11 03:56:48 UTC 2008

On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 7:44 PM, Edward Stow <ed.stow at gmail.com> wrote:

>  + 1  I would prefer to use html tag names, td, tr, a.
>
>  And seaside adds to the html language disconnect by using #url: for
>  src and href attributes.

There's a tradeoff here between consistency with the HTML language and
internal consistency of the API.
I lean towards internal consistency: for example, it's bizarre that an
HTML textarea is so different from an HTML text input.    *Why* are
"src" and "href" different attributes when they are both URLs?  In
both of these cases, Seaside unifies the two cases even though HTML
does not.  For that matter, Seaside presents links and submit buttons
nearly identically, even though in HTML/HTTP they are entirely
different mechanisms.   I think this abstraction and unification is a
good thing. If you want an API that precisely models HTML and HTTP,
you're using the wrong framework - there are many others (the vast
majority) that do so.

Cheers,
Avi