[Seaside] Gemstone/S questions

Dale Henrichs dale.henrichs at gemstone.com
Fri Apr 11 16:06:37 UTC 2008

itsme213 wrote:

>Hi,
>
>1. Will Squeak OB-based tools run in the Gemstone/S setup? Specifically
>thinking of Lukas' really great set (now included in 3.9.1) with the
>improved browser, environment browser, re-factoring tools, and the
>search/re-write tools.

The short answer is that it would take a bit of work to run the
OB-Extensions and the re-factoring tools in GemStone, which translates
to no...

The long answer is that early on I made a decision to "clone" the
OB-Standard package, rather than port it to GemStone (I was worried
that  GemStone-specific classes would have to live in both Squeak and
GemStone) as a result, using packages like OB-Extensions (which _should_
work in GemStone without many mods) don't, mainly because the class
names are different.

I plan to port OB-Standard to GemStone/S with the intent to make
OB-Extensions loadable in GemStone...The refactoring tools may be a bit
more work (there are other folks that will be helping with the work),
but I'm imagining that once we get to the point where OB-Standard is
more or less common between GemStone and Squeak, the rest of the work
should be straight forward.

>2. What happens to Squeak code that uses Traits when Monticello's into
>Gemstone? Do the traits disappear and is the trait code replicated for each
>usage? How about then moving back into Squeak (all via Monticello)?

GemStone doesn't support Traits and I haven't ported the Monticello
traits extensions to GemStone either, so Monticello packages with traits
won't load...

Dale