[Seaside] [ANN] SeasideXUL

Pavel Krivanek squeak3 at continentalbrno.cz
Tue Apr 15 05:43:09 UTC 2008

Hi Sebastian,

On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 4:30 PM, Sebastian Sastre <ssastre at seaswork.com> wrote:
> Hi Pavel,
>
>         is good to have more options. Do you want to point articles to read
>  about the XUL trends? which big players are behind it, etc?

I tried to find some some documents with XUL long-term vision but I
wasn't successful. Its development is closely bound to Firefox so it's
necessary to observe its development. See
http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Firefox_3_for_developers#For_XUL_and_extension_developers.
No other big player than Mozilla Foundation was adopting XUL as its
own although some as IBM are using it. The situation should be more
clean when XUL will be more independent.

> I think todays we
>  are seeing a big push among vendors and the biggest player of all times the open
>  source community. Today is harder to ponder the most promising trends. So much
>  to do, so much to learn, so short time

The alternative technologies for XUL today are XAML by Microsoft and
Air by Adobe. Here only the Mozilla's solution has real interest in
expanding to other platforms, is using open-source technologies and
has longest deployment history.

Cheers,
-- Pavel