[Seaside] bug or misunderstanding?

Randal L. Schwartz merlyn at stonehenge.com
Fri Apr 18 18:12:22 UTC 2008

Squeak 3.9 release + level playing field
Seaside 2.8.

Top level component is this:

    renderContentOn: html
      | holder |
      html heading: 'test of callback'.
      html form: [
        html textInput callback: [:e | holder := e].
        html submitButton callback: [Transcript show: holder; cr]
      ].

Why is "holder" nil here?  I can see that my textinput callback is
called first.  Shouldn't both of the callbacks share the same
reference to "holder"?

Bug or my misunderstanding?  Is there a fix or a workaround, or a
better way to do this?

This works fine if I make holder an instvar, by the way, but I don't
want to do that as it complicates the example.