[Seaside] Re: Menu component - communicating with root component

Keith Hodges keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Apr 21 20:57:31 UTC 2008

Sebastian Sastre wrote:
>> so, to set-up a wiring you need to have visible both instances of
>> driver and semaphore in some code to wire them up, which is not always
>> simple because they can be placed using complex hierarchy like:
>>
>> street
>>  |    |
>>  |   car -- driver
>>  crossroads -- semaphore
>>

>>>  Sebastian
>>>

> Well said Igor! And which place for that wiring to happen is better than the one with a bird's eye? That's why parents wire children's events.

But from the outset, I said that the Parents are generic containers,
PRPages which components embedded. So they have no idea what their
children are or what events need to be wired for a specifc child.

To use a "Nurturing analog" from "Living the The Life Model" book.

We progress through stages.... Infant -> Child -> Adolescent ->  Adult
-> Parent -> Elder

Lessons we need to learn as we grow up include...

Infants need to be able to learn to receive from their parents.
Children need to learn to articulate their needs.
Adolescents learn to look after themselves.
Parents learn to look after others as well as themselves.
Elders learn to nurture communities in which all of the above happen.

Our "child" components are stuck at the Infant level.

Parents are only able to help children to the extent that a child can
articulate its needs and at the moment I cant see any way of doing that.
without the child knowing who the parent is

regards

Keith