[Seaside] Re: String encoding

Philippe Marschall philippe.marschall at gmail.com
Tue Apr 22 18:14:47 UTC 2008

2008/4/22, Igor Stasenko <siguctua at gmail.com>:
> 2008/4/22 Philippe Marschall <philippe.marschall at gmail.com>:
>
> > 2008/4/22, Igor Stasenko <siguctua at gmail.com>:
>  >
>  > > okay, i figured it out by implementing a #charSet method in my session
>  >  >  subclass to return iso charset instead of utf-8.
>  >
>  >  That sounds more like a hack until the problem gives up rather than a
>  >  fix. Could you answer:
>  >  - what encoding your web page should have
>  >  - what encoding the strings in your image should have
>  >

> 'ISO-8859-1' for both web page & squeak.
>  But of course, i would prefer using utf-8 for webpage and let seaside
>  auto-translate my strings from ISO-8859-1

If you want ISO-8859-1:
- be sure you really want ISO-8859-1, strictly speaking ISO-8859-1
does not even include the Euro symbol but most browsers are not that
picky
- use ISO-8859-1 both on the web page and in Squeak (this avoids many problems)
- implement the #charSet method in your session class and return 'iso-8859-1'
- use WAKom

>  >  Since you are dealing with Squeak literals, it might be better to use
>  >  WAKomEncoded and utf-8 in the web and Squeak encoding in your image.
>  >

> Can you be more specific, where i can set preferences or make changes
>  to achieve above?

- if you use Squeak 3.10 or 3.9.1 be sure to update to Seaside 2.8.1
- remove the #charSet method from your session class (use the one from
WASession, 'utf-8')
- WAKom stop.
- WAKomEncoded startOn: thePort

Cheers