[Seaside] Integrating Images on a website. Don't want to use Apache or WAFileLibrary.

Janko Mivšek janko.mivsek at eranova.si
Thu Apr 24 08:51:35 UTC 2008

Miguel Cobá wrote:
> I don't understand the issue with portability in having the static
> content served by a web server (apache, lighttpd, nginx).
> In fact, it is not even practical to deploy an app (used for more than a
> couple users) without a kind of proxy/load balancer in front.
> You can let the web server do what does the best, serving static content
> and the seaside to to what it does best, to run your app.
>
> Never will Seaside, or comanche or (mongrel in ruby on rails case for
> the matter) be on par with a web server in serving static data.
> And you don't have to have a lot of user to decide to upgrade from "all
> in the image" to using a "just the app in the image/else on webserver"
> setup.

Swazoo is actually able to come very close to Apache, able to serving
static content with 300Mbits/s on VW, that is 3 times saturation of 100M
Ethernet. This is enough throughput for all except really large websites
out there. And of course, you can always switch to Apache or something
similar later!

Start therefore with Swazoo as pure Smalltalk web server with all pros
of being in Smalltalk only, and when needed, switch to Apache. Any
you'll see, you won't need that switch soon!

Swazoo vs. Apache benchmark:
http://www.swazoo.org/benchmarks/swazoo-vs-apache.html

JAnko

>  From the very beginning you can use all the cpu cicles used for Seaside
> for your app and not for serving images (that you can't cache in the
> image as you can in a webserver for faster response, ideally, without
> disk access, all served from memory)
>
> Miguel Cobá
>
> On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 3:30 PM, Torsten Bergmann <astares at gmx.de
> <mailto:astares at gmx.de>> wrote:
>
>     Hi,
>
>     in general there are three ways:
>
>      1. serve files using an external server/location (Apache)
>      2. create a WAFileLibrary
>      3. let the Squeak webserver serve files from hard disk
>
>     1. is not good for portability, 2. bloats the image - so 3. may be your
>     option to choose.
>     You can do this either with an WAExternalFileLibrary implementation
>     as Holger already explained or by serving the files directly using a
>     file serving module for KomHttpServer:
>
>     For an example either have a look at "Webserver-tbn.4.mcz" in
>     "www.squeaksource.com/DeveloperWorkspace
>     <http://www.squeaksource.com/DeveloperWorkspace>" or read
>     http://www.shaffer-consulting.com/david/Seaside/GettingSoftware/index.html
>
>     Bye
>     Torsten
>     --
>     Ist Ihr Browser Vista-kompatibel? Jetzt die neuesten
>     Browser-Versionen downloaden: http://www.gmx.net/de/go/browser

Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web
Smalltalk Web Application Server