[Seaside] Integrating Images on a website. Don't want to use Apache or WAFileLibrary.

cdrick cdrick65 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 24 16:06:34 UTC 2008

2008/4/24, Philippe Marschall <philippe.marschall at gmail.com>:
> 2008/4/24 Janko Mivšek <janko.mivsek at eranova.si>:
>
> > Philippe Marschall wrote:
>  >
>  > >
>  > > >  Swazoo is actually able to come very close to Apache, able to serving
>  > > > static content with 300Mbits/s on VW, that is 3 times saturation of 100M
>  > > > Ethernet. This is enough throughput for all except really large websites
>  > out
>  > > > there. And of course, you can always switch to Apache or something
>  > similar
>  > > > later!
>  > > >
>  > >
>  >
>  >
>  > > But even in this case Swazoo will eat CPU cycles from Seaside because
>  > > VW (like Squeak) is single threaded.
>  > >
>  >
>  >  Yes, but minimally comparing to Seaside and also not on the same time.
>
> At least on Squeak / Kom large uploads hog the CPU / image. This is
>  not minimal at all.

So next question, would it be possible to launch two squeak images ?
One that only serves static files with Swazoo.
And one for seaiside/aida. If I understand correctly

It will certainly hog a bit the cpu but not the image doing "dynamic
web". Just I don't know how to deal with both images, maybe a specific
handler on the web one...

I personnaly have no opposition using Apache or whatever, but this
will be far easier to setup especially for small experiments,
developping time etc.... You can carry all on a usb key, just lauch
the image and here it is (I think this is what people mean by
portability).

Personnaly, I found easier to evaluate WAKom startOn: 8080 than
configuring Apache ;) and it would be a nice example on how to
interact with 2 images. Any ideas ? oppositions ?

Cheers

Cédrick