[Seaside] Why do forms contain unstyled divs?

Stefan Schmiedl s at xss.de
Fri Apr 25 18:50:59 UTC 2008

The story behind this question:

I have a simple form:

(html form)
	defaultAction: [#submit out];
	with:
		[html text: 'Suche '.
		html textInput submitOnClick]];

It is rendered like this:

<form >
    <input style="position: absolute; top: -100em;" type="submit">
    <input style="position: absolute; top: -100em;" type="text">
  Suche  <input onclick="submit()" class="text" type="text">
    <input class="hidden" type="hidden">
    <input class="hidden" type="hidden">
</form>

I see that the implementors have taken steps to keep required elements
out of sight. Still, both above and below my form content, div's without
styles remain. Is there a specific reason for not specifying a hiding
style to the wrapping div instead/additionally to hiding the contents?

<form >
    <input type="submit">
    <input type="text">
  Suche  <input onclick="submit()" class="text" type="text">
    <input type="hidden">
    <input type="hidden">
</form>

Browser hacks? Evolutionary wart?