[Seaside] [NEWBIES] How to set up a multi-page website

Roger Ostrander atiaxi at gmail.com
Fri Apr 25 21:15:02 UTC 2008

Hello,

  The way I've approached this is similar to your idea:  There's a
"menu component" whose job it is to render the header, the footer,
itself, and then whatever the active component is.  I tend to store
the active component in the menu component itself, but that has the
problem that, unless you pass the menu component around, it's the only
thing that can transition between pages (this hasn't been a problem
for me).

  Tasks fill a different niche altogether.  They're used when you want
a sequential list of things to happen.  So say before people see the
menu component at all, they need to log in.  Your task would look
something like:

do
    [self session loggedIn ] whileFalse: [ self call: self loginComponent ].
    self call: self menuComponent.

  Hope this helps!

On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 4:45 PM, David Zmick <dz0004455 at gmail.com> wrote:
> So, I have a website, and I would like it to have multiple pages, eg. an
> about page, a members page, etc.  I think you know what I mean.  I have
> currently accomplished this by creating a variable in my session class
> called content and the root component renders different content depending on
> what the content variable stores.
>  This approach appears to have these advantages:
>
> I can have a header and footer that remains constant no matter what page the
> user is on
> It is very simple
> not much elseI do not entirely understand the idea of a root task but I have
> a feeling that that is the way I should go about completing this.
>  What is the "proper" way to accomplish my goal, preferably, I would like to
> be able to do the same things I can now, but do it "correctly" :)
>
> --
> David Zmick
> /dz0004455\
> http://dz0004455.googlepages.com