[Seaside] Re: Seaside memory consumption?

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Tue Apr 29 19:40:40 UTC 2008

Philippe Marschall wrote:
> Honestly this is a very hard question that probably only marketing
> developments can answer seriously (JEE is twice as fast as .Net). If
> have seen such numbers for no web framework. There are so many free
> variables. How have active users, what session lifetime, how active
> are they, do they come in bursts, how complicated is your site, what
> image do you have, which VM, which GC settings, which patches, which
> OS, which CPU, .... . Out of the blue I would say Seaside and Magritte
> are probably the most memory hungry choices you can make. Lots of
> classes, lots of objects, lots of block contexts, .... Having that
> said I know of no one who has run into memory problems with Seaside /
> Magritte but this means very little. In general persistence is often
> bottleneck. As you run code besides it I doubt any numbers would be
> applicable to you.

I fully understand the number of variables in the setup so what I'm
looking for is whether anyone has experimented with -say- running
Seaside inside a 128MB environment for a given site and load factor and
what their experiences were. For example, what does a small Pier
deployment require? (IIRC, it is built on top of Magritte so this may be
the closest in kind)

> In general people who come up with such questions have an idea about
> the load they'll face or have to support so they can write tests.

Yes, I certainly do (it'd be in the range of 1-2 man-hours of use a day,
basically filling in a bunch of forms and running a few reports mostly
by a single user). But I'm not going to run a big test suite for
something that is supposed to be a very small application. I just want
to make sure I'm not going to screw up the production app by running
Seaside next to it.

>> What
>> about memory consumption of Seaside apps that run for several months without
>> restart (session cleanup etc)?
>
> Session cleanup happens even without restarts. If you run the
> WeakDictionary patches of Martin van Löws (I hope I got the name
> right) you can override SeasidePlatformSupport class >>
> #weakDictionaryOfSize: which should release sessions earlier. I have
> seen images that run without troubles for months and images that have
> trouble staying up for more than a few days.

Thanks, that's good to know, too. Where are these patches?

Cheers,
   - Andreas