Yes, it works - and fast too! ( was (Re: [Seaside] Re: Re: [squeak-dev] [Q] File Upload/Download Server, Comanche or Swazoo)

Philippe Marschall philippe.marschall at gmail.com
Fri Aug 1 12:21:14 UTC 2008

2008/8/1 Göran Krampe <goran at krampe.se>:
> Hi!
>
> Ok, I just tested this again using this setup on my Dell D420 (small
> Dell laptop, bogomips: 2394 according to /proc/cpuinfo) using:
>
> - 3.8.1-6747 image
> - gokr at yoda:~$ squeakvm -version
>        3.9-8 #1 Tue Mar 25 22:39:11 UTC 2008 gcc 4.2.3
>        Squeak3.9alpha of 4 July 2005 [latest update: #7021]
>        Linux vernadsky 2.6.15.7 #1 SMP
> - Xubuntu Linux yoda 2.6.24-19-generic #1 SMP
>
> I tested by loading my changeset into a Gjallar image and then using a
> firefox 3 browser on:
>        http://localhost:8080/seaside/tests/alltests
>
> ...where there is an upload test. Ok the numbers:
>
> Local test with a file of size 731654144 took circa 138 seconds to
> upload giving approximately 5Mb/sec upload speed. Since Janko mentions
> 1.5Mb/sec for Swazoo this seems kinda good. :)
>
> The image size does not move an inch during this - but the CPU shows 95%
> load in top - looking closer at this it seems to be a side effect
> because Process browser tells me that the actual Process in Squeak doing
> the work is showing about 3% time! It is instead Morphic/idle that goes
> up. Squeak is also fully responsive as is the OS during the upload.
>
> I am sure this is related to other mechanisms in Squeak. And oh, yes,
> also tried a file of size 1463308288 (double size) giving eh, slightly
> larger upload time (not sure why).
>
> Did not succeed with a 2Gb+ file, not sure why, haven't investigated
> further. Code attached, it downloads files into ./seasidetmp

Interesting. At first glance this looks like the code you posted some
months ago (KomHttpServer-gk.31 + friends). I can also not make out
any differences to the code in Seaside 2.9 except from some cleanup.

On a side note it would be cool if Squeak supported the creation of
temporary files. Eg. a unique file in /var/tmp or equivalent.

Cheers
Philippe