[Seaside] What exactly is Pier?

Lukas Renggli renggli at gmail.com
Fri Aug 15 08:08:19 UTC 2008

> So, i am begining to figure this out, but I have a question.  How do I hide
> the command section of the sidebar for certain people, I want to have it
> when I am working on the site, but not when visitors are there, and, the
> version included with the squeak-web image is older or newer than the

First thing you have to do is to assign your user and group to all the
structures in Pier. You can do this by executing 'Change Owner' and
'Change Group' on the root and checking to recursively apply it to all
children.

Now, if you take away the view permission from 'Other' in the command
box it is not rendered anymore, when not logged in. Pay attention that
you probably need to add another command box that only contains the
login/logout (see the settings of the box) and that is always
displayed, otherwise you lock yourself out.

Check out the mailing-list archive (linked on the web-site) for
in-length discussion how to setup a Pier site. Have a look at the
linked Pier sites (e.g. my website or the one of seaside.st). If you
have any questions on how a specific feature of these sites was made,
feel free to ask in the mailing-list.

Cheers,
Lukas

--