[Seaside] Google indexing and bookmarks on Seaside sites

David Buck david at simberon.com
Fri Aug 29 18:46:20 UTC 2008

I'm developing a Seaside application for the Internet Ray Tracing
Competition web site.  By the nature of the site, the results of
previous rounds of the IRTC are effectively static while a few pages
change periodically as contests start and end.  Ideally, we would like
all of the site to be google-indexable and bookmarkable unless you are
logged in with a userid.

Now, I know how to make bookmarkable pages in Seaside using
initialRequest:. This technique, however, requires me to replace all
callback: calls with url: calls, generate appropriate URL's that can
recover their place, and add handling code in the initialRequest: method
for tons of different pages.  I fear that this technique will become
unmaintainable.  I also fear that we will lose some Seaside capability
by never creating a session and losing sessions if you navigate to a
bookmarkable page.

Does anyone have advice on how to do this?

BTW, you can preview the site at:
    http://newtest.irtc.org:7777/irtc  (this address will disappear in a
few weeks)

The original IRTC site is at: