[Seaside] Glorp DELETE CASCADE / UPDATE CASCADE

Alan Knight knight at acm.org
Thu Dec 4 16:56:21 UTC 2008

Note that there is a Glorp mailing list hosted at sourceforge, which is probably a better option for finding Glorp-specific answers.

Glorp does not have the ability to take advantage of the database's built-in cascading delete. The primary issue is that the objects in memory won't get told about the deletions that have happened in the database and so things will get out of sync. If you don't care about that (e.g. because you're going to throw away the objects in memory right away after the delete anyway) then you could set up cascaded delete in tables as you would normally.

If you're willing to let Glorp do the cascading (less efficient, but better control) then you can do this by sending the message #beExclusive to the mappings that you want to cascade.

Taking advantage of update cascade seems to mean that you'd be changing the primary key of the object. I think that would be very likely to cause any number of interesting problems, and I'd think long and hard before trying to do that from within Glorp. At a minimum, it's going to mess up the caching, which is based on primary keys, and you'd want to discard the session immediately.

Alan Knight [|], Engineering Manager, Cincom Smalltalk
knight at acm.org
aknight at cincom.com
http://www.cincom.com/smalltalk