[Seaside] Starting out

Mark Volkmann mark at ociweb.com
Wed Dec 17 21:45:52 UTC 2008

On Dec 17, 2008, at 3:22 PM, Ramon Leon wrote:

>> Regardeless of the technology of your choice, if you don't
>> know much about html,
>> javascript, css, ajax, etc. and don't want to spend *a lot*
>> of time with those,
>> think again about messing with web apps at all.
>> Cheers,
>> Sebastian
>
> I'll second that, the idea that you're going to do anything well in
> the web
> app space without knowing HTML, CSS, and JavaScript is just naive.

I used to think that until I built a web app. using Google Web Toolkit
(GWT). You really can build nice, Ajax-style web apps. using that will
only knowledge of Java and CSS. GWT compiles Java code to JavaScript
instead of bytecode. Of course Java wouldn't will any popularity
contents on this list. I much prefer Smalltalk over Java. It would be
interesting to see an implementation of GWT based on Smalltalk instead
of Java.

> Web apps
> will likely never be the easy drag and drop build it all in a GUI
> environment you see in desktop frameworks.  Secondly, basic HTML and
> CSS
> skills are not difficult to learn, if you can program then you can
> understand a couple of simple markup languages with little effort.

---
Mark Volkmann