[Seaside] Starting out

Julian Fitzell jfitzell at gmail.com
Thu Dec 18 08:46:25 UTC 2008

On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 1:56 AM, Tony Giaccone <tony at giaccone.org> wrote:
> Where's the support contract? Where's the industry acceptance? Where can I
> hire 5 experienced Seaside developers in the next week.  How do I scale a
> Seaside application? How do I manage multiple instances of Seaside
> integrated with BigIP? Where are the articles in Information Week about
> successful deployments with Seaside?  All of those are barriers to entry for
> Seaside in Corporate America.

You're right that we're not going to take over Corporate America any
time soon. The problem is, of course, there's a chicken and egg
problem: it just doesn't make sense to start a "seaside.com" until
there is enough demand from Corporate America to do so. People should
think of Seaside as more of a bootstrapping startup than a big-bang
venture capitalized startup. We're building our foundation and our
dedicated community slowly and steadily. The risk is, I suppose, that
we miss our chance to make it big and I guess some people worry about
that more than others.

In the meantime, there are many consultants (myself included -- I've
got spare time at the moment if anyone is looking) who are more than
happy to support corporate use of Seaside through training,
customization, code review, or development.

The rest will come with time (or it won't :) ).

Julian