[Seaside] Starting out

Hernán Morales Durand hernan.morales at gmail.com
Wed Dec 24 19:54:33 UTC 2008

Hello Claus,

2008/12/24 Claus Kick <claus_kick at web.de>

> Hey Julian,
>
> first of all, congratulations on the good work!

> Out of curiosity, how much VA/VS exposure did your team have? The style of
> the Smallfaces code look very familiar and welcoming :)
>
> (#addSubPane, #addSubpanes, #paneNamed:, #when:send:to:)

Your guess is correct. SmallFaces is based in the WindowBuilder/V Pro widget
toolkit, which as you know, is a mature commercial visual GUI building
software very popular in the 90's.

There was two objectives for this decision: One is to provide a familiar
interface for Smalltalkers which have been programming in Desktop GUI's but
do not have experience with web developement. The other one is possibly
result of the former, and is to reduce the specialization and educational
obsolescence, product of the growing complexity of our industrialized
societies.

Cheers,

Hernán