[Seaside] [ANN] Seaside 2.9 Alpha 2

Julian Fitzell jfitzell at gmail.com
Wed Dec 31 06:57:19 UTC 2008

On Wed, Dec 31, 2008 at 3:25 AM, Keith Hodges <keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> Lukas Renggli wrote:
>>> Are the dependencies for the builder published anywhere?
>>>

>> The intentional dependencies are specified in the Seaside code itself,
>> see WAPackage. The real dependencies are a bit more complicated
>> though.
>>  We could easily add other output formats to the builder, if
>> that is desired.
>>
>> Lukas
>>
> Not really much use I am afraid. Since when building an image, I dont
> see how I can effectively invoke the builder obtain the result from the
> builder and use it within a wider process.
>
> It would be far more useful to have Sake/Packages definitions from the
> outset. Why not have a new class PackagesSeaside, or even just Seaside.
> Why not do it the other way around, define the dependencies in
> Sake/Packages and build the builder on top of that. It will even sort
> the load order for you.

WAPackage defines functional or "theoretical" dependencies. The
builder combines that knowledge with static code dependency analysis
to generate the correct load order. Ideally, by the time we have a
final release, there will be no dependencies beyond the functional
ones but that is currently not quite the case.

Keeping the two things separate means we can also do a set difference
between the functional dependencies and the current static
dependencies to find any dependencies that have been introduced and
are either (a) undocumented or (b) incorrect. This is key during
development. If you define *all* the dependencies in WAPackage (or
some other package definition) then the only place the correct
dependency set is maintained is in the core developers' heads.

Julian