[Seaside] Re: http://www.salesforce.com/

Philippe Marschall philippe.marschall at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 07:33:30 UTC 2008

2008/2/1, Andreas Raab <andreas.raab at gmx.de>:
> Philippe Marschall wrote:
> > 2008/2/1, Andreas Raab <andreas.raab at gmx.de>:
> >> Out of curiosity what is the problem connecting with Squeak? It looks
> >> like a plain Soap interface from a glance at the docs
> >> (http://www.salesforce.com/us/developer/docs/api/apex_api.pdf).
> >
> > "plain Soap"
>
> Okay, I'll play along ;-) Given that you are surely aware of
> http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/1399 which lists three frameworks for
> Soap, what's the problem?

SOAP itself. It is simply not interoperable despite WS-I. The sole
existence of WS-I actually says a lot about SOAP. Cincom invested and
still does heavy resources on WS-*, just check out "James Robertson:
Cincom Smalltalk's VisualWorks and .NET White Paper". Yet still, after
all those years and resources they gave up on achieving
interoperability with the SAP SOAP implementation. I'm sure both
implementations are perfectly compliant to the SOAP spec. Instead they
decided to write a proprietary connector (without SOAP).

Cheers
Philippe