[Seaside] Monit on Ubuntu / Debian to monitor Seaside images

Rajeev Lochan lochan94 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 19:36:24 UTC 2008

Hi,
I have been working towards setting up a dedicated server (Ubuntu) to host
my Seaside app as per Ramon's Blog
http://onsmalltalk.com/programming/smalltalk/scaling-seaside-redux-enter-the-penguin/

Till now, I have been successful in having Apache serve static content and
Load balance between 3 images of my Seaside App. Sticky sessions are working
and everything is going well so far. But I had a problem when installing
Daemontools (which Ramon has written in his blog and also Lukas has written
in Mailing lists), the recent versions of Ubuntu, dont support Daemontools
out of the box.

In one of the comments to Ramon's post, I could learn that some of the
seasiders have used Monit to do much more than want Daemontools does. Could
you please guide me how to go about.

I came across a blog on Rails using Monit
http://www.igvita.com/2006/11/07/monit-makes-mongrel-play-nice/
In that, what is the equivalent code to Seaside of the following code ?

start program = "/usr/local/bin/ruby /usr/local/bin/mongrel_rails
start -d -e production -p 8010 -a 127.0.0.1 -P
/home/user/current/log/mongrel.8010.pid -c /home/user/rails/current"
    stop program  = "/usr/local/bin/ruby /usr/local/bin/mongrel_rails
stop -P /home/user/current/log/mongrel.8010.pid"

Till now, I have been starting the images manually by
/seaside$ squeakvm  -nodisplay seasidedemo "" port 9090 &

and to kill it, i use $ pkill squeakvm    or $ kill [PID of SqueakVM]

I suppose, we will also have to change the following code

if totalmem is greater than 60.0 MB for 5 cycles then restart

When an image is running on my server (Pentium Dual Core 2.8 GHz with 1 GB
RAM), it shows almost 3-4% CPU and 3-4% RAM , should we shift the memory cap
from 60 MB to 100 MB / image ?

Is there any other options we have ?

Thanks for the help,

Rajeev